Havana Great Theater Alicia Alonso
23 STREET. OLD HABANA
The Gran Teatro de la Habana Alicia Alonso or Gran Teatro de La Habana (Havana Great Theater Alicia Alonso) is a cultural complex made up of several theaters. It is the headquarters of the National Ballet of Cuba, the National Lyric Theater and the Spanish Ballet of Cuba.
The current building, inaugurated in 1915, is the work of the Belgian architect Paul Beleu. In this place was located the old Tacón theater, one of the most luxurious in America. The theater, rebuilt within the beautiful building, was for many years the largest and most luxurious in the country and great figures from the opera, ballet, and zarzuela paraded through its stage.
This public space, located in Old Havana, in its beginnings, was named to honor Captain General Miguel de Tacón and Rosique, Governor of Cuba between the years 1834 and 1838.
The Tacón Theater was the work of the architect Antonio Mayo, who conceived it with a predominant eclectic style. With 90 boxes, more than 20 rows and the capacity to receive about two thousand spectators, it became the stage par excellence for the Creole aristocracy.
In its time, The Tacón was the largest and most luxurious theater on the American continent; and for its technical qualities, the third in the world, after the Scala in Milan and the Vienna Opera.